At Optima Global, our goal is to minimize our environmental footprint and safeguard the environment, now and for future generations. Responsible environmental management is central to our success as a leading gold mining company and we seek to continually improve our performance.
Environmental Management Systems (EMS) at each of our operations help us to achieve our goals of protection and stewardship. Performance indicators help us measure how well we have done.
We recognize that there may be significant impacts to the existing natural environment, both temporary and long-term, due to the presence of our mining operations. As a result, we take a precautionary approach throughout the life of a mine by first assessing potential impacts, then evaluating how to avoid, mitigate or control these impacts. Controls typically include putting into place multi-layers of environmental protection and robust environmental management systems that include advanced planning against possible future events.
Further support for responsible environmental management is provided in Optima’s Environmental Management System Standard (EMSS), developed in 2006 and designed to be consistent with, and go beyond ISO 14001. The EMSS applies to all Optima’s activities at all properties, including joint ventures where we are the operator. It consists of 15 elements. Each element contains a statement of the standard of environmental conduct that Optima expects, followed by a list of Management System Requirements. The Requirements represent the specific systems, practices, procedures or tasks that are, at a minimum, necessary to meet the Standard.
Optima Global Environmental Management System Elements:
- Leadership and Commitment
- Legal and Other Requirements
- Risk Assessment
- Project Life Cycle Planning
- Objectives, Targets and Plans
- Responsibility and Accountability
- Competence, Training and Awareness
- Operational Controls and Maintenance
- Change Management
- Contractors, Suppliers and Vendors
- Emergency Planning, Response and Recovery
- Incident Reporting and Investigation
- Communications and Stakeholder Engagement
- Documentation and Recordkeeping
- Assessing, Connecting and Improving Performance<